Sunday, March 22, 2009

Car Wash 3 - Wax & Polish

Saturday evening: Car wash. No time for polish & wax.

Sunday afternoon: Rinse + dry. Polish. Clay. Wax.

Total time spent: About 8 hours.

1. Car Wash - My car wash speed is improving. Managed to wash & dry within an hour.

2. Polish - Polished the entire car using a tiny sponge provided with the Soft99 metaclean. Wipe dry after 10 minutes.

3. Clay - Where normal washing/polishing fails, a clay bar removes particles that are stuck to the paint. You may not even see the particles, but you can feel little dots if you glide your hand on the paint. Here's an intro to the clay bar by Meguiar's Mike Phillips:



(a) Obviously Meguiar's clay detailing kit would cost a bomb, so I'm using Soft99 clay bar with Eneos car shampoo. According to Mr. Albert, the only clay bar factories are in Japan, so they're all the same.


(b) The clay bar is actually white in color, wrapped in a blue plastic.


(c) Tear and use only half. It feels like plasticine. Keep the other half in the fridge or an air tight container. Use again in 6 months.


(d) Flatten it out, around 4 inches in diameter, like in the picture.


(e) Wet surface and clay bar with shampoo and clay-away!


(f) The dirt always looks brown in color. Don't ask me why.


(g) I only clayed the grey area, to make a comparison for my own records.


4. Wax - I'm using "Super Hard Shell" Turtle Wax, which comes as a green color paste. Its very easy to apply, but I made a huge mistake. After applying, I came inside to blog and spent about 50 minutes before I wiped the wax off. The paste had already hardened and it was VERY TIRING to wipe the excess wax off. Lesson learned.


Because I was too tired, I only waxed the front half of the car :(

The result? I love to view water beading on the car after a good polish & wax. In the picture below, the right door panel has been polished and waxed, while the left door only has been polished. Is there a difference? :)


Two videos of claying to come, in the next post.

No comments: