Friday, April 4, 2008

Subbie Pics & Review (2)

My previous car had an Alpine HU and front components, with a Blaupunkt 2x8" all-in-one sub (Class D amp with crossover built-in). Also had a Tru Technology 4x65W amp to drive the components for a while, but sold it due to $$$ constraints. For 4 years, I had a pretty decent sound system in the car, so with the X20, it was just a matter of time...

The X20 comes with component set in the front, and some mid speakers on the rear door panels. I don't have the specs for the speakers, but the original setup sounded quite decent. For the components, the high frequencies are a little harsh, with a weak mid-range. The rear speakers provide the lower end sounds. I've always wondered how a "real" sub will improve the sound stage.

I've sat (auditioned) quite a few good sounding subs in the market. A few notable ones are:
- 2 x JL audio W7, dual voice coil with 2 monoblock class-D amps driving it in a wira (andrew)
- 1 x 12 Peerless sub, in a city (simple and effective)
- 1 x 12 RS sub in a jazz, very nice and tight
- 1 x 10" Seas Lotus in Uncle's camry with Tru Tech amps driving them... omg, pure joy

...and many others, some i cannot remember with details.

So... I thought with my experience in ICE, getting that nice, tight, sub sound should be quite simple. Wrong.

I ended up buying a Kenwood Amp and Kenwood Sub from Brothers (*sigh*) due to their wide range of selection, audition available, and promotions that they were running. Also the sales guy sounded "quite" knowledgeable about what he was talking about. The specs are already linked up, a few postings below, so go to their website for more info.

This is what happened:
- Scratches on my car dash (WTH!)
- No rubber insulation was installed for +ve and -ve terminals on the amp. The rubber insulator was tucked in a plastic bag and given to me with the warranty card. Another accessory shop offer to fixed it in for me FOC.
- The power and grounding cables were not clipped and terminated professionally. I feel it will shortcircuit any moment and fry the wiring in the car.
- The box they gave me was too small, and had to remove the "free" fancy cover. I asked for a custom made enclosure, but after the sales guy consulted the installation guys, they said,"this one can already..."
- After installation, the whole boot was rattling really badly. I asked if they did sound proofing and they said:
  • No we don't do sound proofing
  • Even if you did did the sound proofing, it won't help. The boot will still rattle, due to the metal there. (WTH?!!!!!)
This is my last installation with Brothers. I left feeling terrible, and drove around looking to do sound proofing and ended at Brother Peter at DU. After sound proofing, the sound improved tremendously. However, I still had to put in a damper to prevent the 3rd brake light from hitting the rear glass. :)

No comments: